Estrogen levels and their role in muscle building

Fitraver

The way I worded this you guys probably thought this was going to be a good article and me sharing a ton of awesome info, am I right? Haha. Well sorry that isn’t the case. Instead, I’m looking for some real life feedback.

I was having a discussion with anolder body builder today (when i day old I mean he still competed and is a Fuckin beast) and he made the statement that sometimes you need to let your estrogen run a bit. Particularly when bulking and looking to add size. He said keeping your e2 down in range is counter productive and he would just use nolva as needed when he say gyno signs.

So that got me thinking. I wonder how many people follow this principle. I know we have a few beats in here and I’m curious to know if I’m putting on your size, have you guys always kept your e2 in check, or do you believe in this protocol.

Now I did not ask how high “letting it go” meant. I’m sure he didn’t mean crazy high, as he doesn’t have tits lol, and I know too high e2 had a ton of health risks. But it did make me wonder if perhaps I’ve always tried to keep my e2 too close to the range (I shoot for low thirties).

If any of you guys do agree with this and let yours get higher in a bulk and when trying to grow, how high do you let it get (if you’ve done bloods)? I also wonder how well just adding Nolva as needed works especially since I have such a fear of gyno.

Anyway should be some good discussion. And I know I could google this and be sure to get lots of studies, but I more so want personal opinion and experience.

I’ll tag the first two resident beasts who come to mind as I for sure want your opinions haha. @MBTJR1980 @PHD. Everyone else please chime in, but I just know they have a ton of size and really interested if this philosophy has played a role in them gaining that or if they’ve gotten it always keeping e2 In check.

I can’t confirm this and I have zero scientific evidence to back this but I will say my best gains on cycle have been when I let my e2 get a bit out of hand by not using any AI’s… though I don’t think it’s worth it if you are gyno prone. Definitely looking forward to seeing the guys with more knowledge jump in on this. Should be interesting for sure.

Last edited:
Agreed. @MBTJR1980 @PHD @TG where you at? Haha

Did you ever get bloods to see just how high your e2 was? I’d be curious like where he breaking point is. Like how high is good tomlet it go and what is the point of diminishing returns and just health risk ya know.

Mmmm Bro I’ve never heard this before. You never want your estrogen levels higher or out of range. Causes a slew of other issuses gyno for one which could get so bad you may have to have surgery. Plus elevated estrogen levels your going to put on bad weight not good quality muscle. Being big is one thing but to be big and fairly Lean still see abs and veins in off season is another. Of course you all know I’m against the dirty bulk and getting fat to gain size. In the past year before I started prep I put on 25 pounds no no not muscle but it was good weight not nasty weight. I had abs and veins and still resembled a bodybuilder.

That’s just my thoughts bro. Keep them low.

Thanks for weighing in bro. I was supper interested to hear your opinion on this. You clearly show that in order to get big it is not a must then. I never ever had thought about letting them get higher, but when he said batbit really made me think. Because this guy looks incredible and has been doing it a long time. So I was curious if I was missing something. He’s anything but Sloppy too. Super lean for his age. Just goes to show there’s more than one way to skin a cat I guess. But like you said I’d be a little afraid of bad weight, gyno, and health risks. Appreciate your input bro.

I agree man, but at the same time most people who run ais on cycle without doing blood work often end up hurting themselves just as badly by letting their e2 too low. I say if you could run a cycle without AI’s and blood levels stay in a healthy range then why not? On the other hand though, I would never run an cycles without AI’s due to being gyno prone. @Fitraver I got bloods a couple weeks after cycle, I don’t remember the exact but I will say my doc was worried.

I mean everyone is different and it doesn’t effect everyone the same for me I wouldn’t do it. Health wise you increase other risks of diseases like cancer which feeds off estrogen.

Honestly bro there’s no holy grail or hidden secret get in there and fucking train and I mean make that shit suck. Like my coach tells me embrace the suck get uncomfortable you have to push yourself past your known limits to change your body. It’s fucking hard to train like this daily but damn so fucking rewarding. I may go into later on a post but majority of people can’t train like this it’s way to fucking hard. And no this isn’t a challenge I’m just saying in general people aren’t going to do what it takes to be the best.

My best example is to watch some of these crossfitters. Now I laugh at them at the gym but look at the pros. They fucking train hard I mean insane hard.

Back