Importance of recovery

NeuroRN

ICU nurse/Moderator

A quick hitter article on recovery and sleep. I try and prioritize sleep as much as I can, switching over days and night can wreak havoc on a sleep schedule.

However, I definitely need to be better about an active recovery and de-load weeks.

I always see pretty noticeable improvements in my lifts when I take a proper de-load week mid cycle and let my body take a breather.

I typically do 2 sets of 10 at a moderate weight (not heavy, should not be straining with exertion) and do my normal workout routine. Focusing on activations and contractions during this week of light weight and low reps. I’ll take some extra time to stretch and foam roll or whatever you normally do.

Give it a shot! Your joints will thank you!

I used to work a super scattered work schedule. Never the same days on each week. I think I dropped down to 185lbs. Just skin and bones!

The regular schedule is huge help for me.

I think it will help me drop the weight that I don’t want back off. I had too many days off with nothing to do for the last few weeks

Also I suck at doing deloads it usually takes a tweak of body parts to say hey maybe not so hard for awhile

I suck too. But when I actually force myself to do it, Or even at least one day a body part rotation, I always come out on top.

I’m going to try and totally demolish everything I can this week and take it the light week after. So I can try and be well rested for maxes the last week of cycle. Probably still stick to three rep on squat

Most could it sucks hahha. I’ll be happy with 445 for 3. I’m going to build these quads eventually now that inleg oress right

@NeuroRN hey thanks for sharing this brother, it was a good read. I didn’t realize the importance of the full stretch and the contraction early on. I always thought it was about the weight on the bar lol completely wrong.

I like that get that free Igf from sleep, makes sense.

Im happy to hit weights but never satisfied. Only got a few more years of doing this heavy shit then pure physique

Yep 40s I’ll probably quit chasimg numbers and then get really serious about loooikg good feeling good and maybe still banging 21’s. That’s if I get my recovery aspect down

Good article @NeuroRN. I work rotating 12’s. It sucks. Sleep I believe is the difference maker. I generally focus on max contractions and high reps when I’m working and do heavier stuff after some decent normal sleep. I’m always looking to to get a better quality of sleep and been doing a lot of research on hgh lately for a possible option down the road.

Just got off rotating 12s. And it wasn’t the best for me. Never got into good sleep pattern and too mushy days off for me

Back