Blood Labs and Donation Back to Back

Poppy

U.S.M.C. VET
Staff member
VIP
Veteran
I have a question, because this has never happened in my schedule before.

I donate blood every 8 weeks… they take a pint and 6 large viles. This is next Friday.

My blood lab work is the Saturday after my donation. They will take 3-5 standard viles. This is for my quarterly physical/checkup for diabetes and other old guy stuff the week after.

Is there a possible problem with this? I donate out of left arm and labs out of right.

@NeuroRN @Kad1 @herrubermensch @TBU or anyone that has insight.

I have heard that the blood supply is extremely low they will take blood from almost anyone please everyone donate on cycle or ofc cycle.

Its horrible that I donate blood and its tossed in medical waste just because the donation company asked me questions and banned me I would donate constantly if I could

Nah. It’s no problem. A pint is replaced by fluids pretty quickly. Why if you have high RBC they tell you to donate. Thins it out so to speak. And those vials ain’t shit. It’s just a coup total. 😂. I’ve seen guys lose what looked like a gallon of blood and still make it. Docs usually stick them with a IV in the field till they get back to a med station.

Back