Bigger shoulders not coming up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelo_47

hi there guys,
tried to search here some blogs about bigger shoulders but none.

Very simple question: how to get serious bigger shoulders?
I have followed every possible kind of training and excercises, and yes shoulder got bigger in line with the rest of my body but just not that WOW look. I understand a lot got to do with genetics and I m kinda of skinny guy…

Is my expectation to get serious bigger shoulder realistic ? if yes how ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I’ve been working shoulder hard for 2 months basically 4 times a week with 2 heavy dedicated days. Shoulders are hard because a lot of people neglect the rear delt. In order to have full shoulders you really need that rear delt. My advise is progressive overload and have heavy days 5x5. To really force them to grow. Just be careful Shoulders are hard to grow but easy to screw up and a injury could put you back to square 1. Just my opinion on how it is for me.

Thats fine mine respond better to side laterals more than anything. Just make a not what you work out with each week and the next week go a bit more. The will grow just may be hard. Some people have shoulders some have calves.

Sometimes if a body part is not growing like you want it too, it’s because they don’t recover well. So hammering them with heavy volume might not be the answer.
Personally I start with and put most of my focus on rear delts then go to lateral raises. I don’t really even fuck with heavy pressing movements kinda risky and the Front of your delts get plenty of work doing chest movements. Over head press will add to your mass around your shoulders and make you look bigger in a t shirt ect. But I think your looking for the “3D cannon ball delts” so I’d focus on rear delts and lateral raises. Hit them hard once or twice a week but make sure you are allowing them to recover… also EQ 🙂

thanks for your reply but wonder. Appreciate this works for you but is this 4 times a week some kinda of overtraining that might cause the reverse effect? Per your knowledge, are shoulders more responsive on just once a week and small weight with more reps ? What I m doing now is 1 time a week only, 2 hours , combination of 3*10 heavy (progressive increasing weights) and then small weights with more reps ( something like 10 kg 14 reps, then 9 kg 15 reps, then 8 kg 14 reps and so on). I have to train more rear delt, that s damn true!

It’s difficult to judge rest with shoulders. Everything I do upper body requires shoulders to be engaged. Even lower body with dead’s.

I have discovered for me just enough weight to finish each exercise with maybe two reps left in the tank. With shoulder I try to do 12 to 15 reps at 3 to 4 sets. Slow steady speed with good form. Weight has to be light enough that you can engage the muscle you are focusing on. I takes a lot of effort to learn how to engage muscles like rear delts and traps and back. I would start by finding the perfect weight that you can feel resistance and focus on engaging those muscles. Once you’ve learned how to engage those muscles then progressively add weight but not so much that your larger muscle groups take over and do the work. You may need to find a good trainer that can help for the start anyways. They will put their finger on a place and say focus here engage this. They will tell you your arm needs to be angled this way more or that way less. A good warmup with resistance bands helps me to start engaging muscles that my body is not trained to do. I struggle because I am an electrician and do alot of over head work and pulling. My traps want to engage in everything shoulders and takes away from my delts. I am lucky and have a friend who is a great trainer and has taken the time to show me how to engage delts and back more with minimal engagement of traps.

My opinion on rest for smaller muscle groups like shoulders would be Monday Wednesday Friday taking off Saturday and Sunday. Or any version where you have five workout days in a row using two days for complete rest. On Non shoulderdays you can work your other muscles except the two days in a row off.

Last edited:
I believe that if you use muscle confusion and the best way to find training is to go to the members logs and find multiple training regimens that members have posted for years take all those shoulder movements and put them to work and over time you will get wow from others we for some reason I should just say alot of us are never wow by our own size we just don’t see that were wow.

I said to my mother the other day look at how much size I’ve lost since ive been sick she just started laughing and said you don’t ever have to worry about losing size 🙃 people around me still see me as huge and I don’t see it at all I believe I look really weak and much smaller.
I believe that usually its just us not seeing the WOW.

You have to probe around and find the sweet spot for yourself. Everyone is different.

I personally benefit from Y-T-W’s and face pulls.

You have to find what works for you. That’s the key. I can do workouts that I can engage my shoulders more but my buddy is completely different. My smaller muscle groups recover faster. They usually are good with 1 day of rest. If I’m targeting a specific muscle group I can train 4 times a week 2 extremely hard 2 lighter. Overtraining is really broad. One day you can over train next time doing the same thing won’t be like that. All depends on rest nutrient intake mood etc. Really to many variables. Thats why I lift with progressive overload and if I’m tired I take a rest day. No schedule I just listen to my body.

Angelo_47 said:
I have followed every possible kind of training and excercises,
I guess we’re failing to ask, how long did stick to the training regimens? If your shoulders grew with the rest of your body, did you work them out extra, or did you work them out the same as the rest of your body?

So I have surgically repaired and arthritic shoulders of the worst kind, with three torn rotator cuffs on one side. Yet aesthetically, they are one of my best attributes. Not particularly big, mind you, and certainly not strong, but pleasantly shaped. Here’s what I do before each chest day to keep my shoulders healthy and growing:

Shoulder circles: Seem ridiculous, but they are incredibly beneficial for getting blood flow going. 30 in each direction.

Static DB holds: Thanks to @Kad1 for these. Hold 35lb DBs overhead for 1 min. 2x. Much, much harder than you think. 2 min at a time would kill me!

Lateral cable pulls (with forearm at 90 degree angle to body): 15-20lbs, 3x20 each direction.

Rear delt machine: 3x20, progressively higher loads

Front raises: 3x12-15, starting with pretty light DBs and working up. I never get higher than 35 lb. DBs.

Overhead presses on the Smith Machine: Do this after the foregoing to push your now-pumped shoulders into use for a compound exercise. Do them in front of the neck (graze the chin on the way up) on chest day; do them behind the neck on back day.

Then I go do my chest routine. Frankly, but for the foregoing shoulder routine, I don’t think my shoulders would tolerate incline DBs at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back