Mentzer/Yates Experiment

Poppy

U.S.M.C. VET
Staff member
VIP
Military Vet
For the last couple months, I’ve been playing around with Mentzer and Yates style of training. In my last log I showed 2-3 rounds of a circuit style. The first 1 or 2 were ramp up sets to the last set of maximum weight/reps.

I’ve modified it to age appropriate weight to avoid injuries and to have full body sessions about twice a week.

My philosophy is:

Spend less time in the gym. More time for other things like my hair brain projects around the house.

Still maintain a respectable level of strength and aesthetics.

Combining movements into a circuit style also gives me the conditioning I need.

So far it seems to be joint friendly. I’m trying to avoid injuries as best as possible.

I’m adding on to my gym/shop. I’ve dug the footer, bent the 5/8th rebar and will be pouring a few yards or so of concrete this week. I have to lay and stucco 50 something block then frame it up etc etc. I’m going to see how my new training template will work with me putting in the labor in my spare time.
 
For the last couple months, I’ve been playing around with Mentzer and Yates style of training. In my last log I showed 2-3 rounds of a circuit style. The first 1 or 2 were ramp up sets to the last set of maximum weight/reps.

I’ve modified it to age appropriate weight to avoid injuries and to have full body sessions about twice a week.

My philosophy is:

Spend less time in the gym. More time for other things like my hair brain projects around the house.

Still maintain a respectable level of strength and aesthetics.

Combining movements into a circuit style also gives me the conditioning I need.

So far it seems to be joint friendly. I’m trying to avoid injuries as best as possible.

I’m adding on to my gym/shop. I’ve dug the footer, bent the 5/8th rebar and will be pouring a few yards or so of concrete this week. I have to lay and stucco 50 something block then frame it up etc etc. I’m going to see how my new training template will work with me putting in the labor in my spare time.
I started the Mentzer style, I do one set. So quads, put pressure on...four count up hold for one just below extention and four count down. With 86 pounds on a quad extention I can do - 14. It hurts like, flop around and walk it off. I love it...wathcing your quads twitch is fun. I added a second set and can get maybe half the reps. So I need to push harder on the 1st and progress weight, just where I was that day. Up to 91 and reps will drop to 8 or 10 and keep going. . Anyway, not heavy weight but slow and painful.
Saves so much time with one minute between sets in and out and it seems to be working.

Pilates and Barre are killing me though, just am not at level of strength and endurance.
Have also rotated isolation and compound movements, I.E. quads, calves and glutes before leg presses then invert.
 
Back
Top