Poppys Quarterly Blood Panel

Poppy

U.S.M.C. VET
Staff member
VIP
Veteran

@NeuroRN my A1c dropped another point to 6.3 and I’m about to bust!!!

My glucose is high but exactly the same as last time. My doctor and I have come to the conclusion (after my confession) that I need more water for kidney function. I have been slack and I can tell. Jardience is one of my betes meds and requires lots of hydration. Other than that he’s not too concerned. I also need some B12…been slack on that also.

6.3!!! I’m extremely happy!!!

Well done!!! That’s below diabetic levels!! Keep this up my brother! Go for that gallon a day! You got this! So beyond proud for you @Poppy. If you start var- which I would still wait, Bc it’s processed through kidney. Make sure you drink 1oz per lb. I believe that was what @TBU told me one time.

I dabbled with var @ 20 day for 4 weeks and quit about 3 weeks prior to labs.

Would it be prudent to wait or up my h20 and add var…upping h20 regardless.

I will probably need 30ish more ounces of water a day to make ounce/body weight

Last edited:
Personally I’d up my water for a few weeks and ideally get labs to see if kidney function is improving. Reminding ourselves that microvasculature is first to go under the stress of DM2. I think it would be better to see improvement first.

Thinking out loud… I take 3 diabetes meds. 2 gram of metformin split…glimerperide once and 10mg jardience once.

Do you think that might be a “load” on my liver and kidneys already?

If so…no brainer… no orals.

Last question I promise

@NeuroRN

Last edited:
No no. Keep them coming. I would definitely be concerned with jardience already dinging your kidneys. I’m not sure where the other two meds get processed. But Var maybe a less ideal option given the already present stress on them. If it’s as simple as hydration fixing the stress it’s something to re-consider.

If I have some time at work, or if you have time and find out where all the meds are broken down and the liver and kidney stress they already present to the body then it would be a great place to start.

@NeuroRN

Metformin is not metabolized. It is cleared from the body by tubular secretion and excreted unchanged in the urine; metformin is undetectable in blood plasma within 24 hours of a single oral dose.[87][114] The average elimination half-life in plasma is 6.2 hours.[87] Metformin is distributed to (and appears to accumulate in) red blood cells, with a much longer elimination half-life: 17.6 hours[87] (reported as ranging from 18.5 to 31.5 hours in a single-dose study of nondiabetics).[114]

There is some evidence that liver concentrations of metformin in humans may be 2 to 3 higher than plasma concentrations, due to portal vein absorption and first-pass uptake by the liver in oral administration.

Glimepride

Most sulfonylureas are extensively metabolized in the liver, primarily by the cytochrome P450 (CYP) 2C9 isoenzyme. The half-life of most sulfonylureas is relatively short, with the exception of chlorpropamide, which has a half-life of 24–48 h [19].

Jardiance

Acute Kidney Injury and Impairment in Renal Function: Empagliflozin causes intravascular volume contraction and can cause renal impairment. Acute kidney injury requiring hospitalization and dialysis has been identified in patients taking SGLT2 inhibitors, including empagliflozin; some reports involved patients younger than 65 years of age. Before initiating JARDIANCE, consider factors that may predispose patients to acute kidney injury. Consider temporary discontinuation in settings of reduced oral intake or fluid losses. Monitor patients for signs and symptoms of acute kidney injury. If it occurs, discontinue JARDIANCE and treat promptly.

Empagliflozin increases serum creatinine and decreases eGFR. Patients with hypovolemia may be more susceptible to these changes. Before initiating JARDIANCE, evaluate renal function and monitor thereafter. More frequent monitoring is recommended in patients with eGFR <60 mL/min/1.73 m2. Discontinue JARDIANCE in patients with a persistent eGFR <45 mL/min/1.73 m2.

So we’ve got one already dinging our kidneys with potential for AKI as known side effect.

Then we’ve got one almost exclusively metabolized through the liver.

Completely surface level thoughts- orals are out. I’m know sure how taxing on the liver glimepride is, so maybe an oral processed hepatically is better. But Var I think is certainly out.

As I said, this is just my initial thoughts without knowing too much about these drugs. CYP450 Is a heavy hitting enzyme that breaks down a lot. Not sure the role it plays in oral AAS.

I’ve always used 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water. An ounce per lb you’d need almost 2 gallons per day. That’s a lot O water. Lol

Back