Importance of clean injection sites

NeuroRN

ICU nurse/Moderator
Going to keep this short and sweet.

Our favorite hobby includes injecting oil in our bodies. Our skin is generally always filthy. The needle has to pass through our skin to get to the muscle. The needle has to go through the rubber stopper that sits exposed to air to get to the oil.

Recently took care of patient who is in multi system organ failure (liver, kidneys, and heart) bc of bacterial myocarditis… FROM drum roll please…POOR INJECTION TECHNIQUE . (our best guess anyway bc we know he was a user of AAS And had multiple infected injection sites)

What’s important: the cleaning agent of your alcohol wipes is the drying of the alcohol.

So here’s how they teach it in nursing school:

1.Pop the cap of the vial (first use) wipe it down.
2. We’re injecting ourselves, so get a new wipe, and clean the injection site. Be careful not to let any loose clothing or anything else touch the area again.
3. Wait.
4. Wait.
5. Wait.
6. Is it dry? Yes? Draw your oil. No? Wait.
7. Is your skin dry? (Look at it. For fuck sake, don’t touch it) yes? Go for it. No? Wait.
8. Doesn’t hurt to wipe it down when the
Needle comes out.

The important takeaway: wait until it dries or else it’s done nothing. Literally nothing.

Stay safe.

Great post. I do the hand fan test. Wave my hand over the injection site to see if I feel alcohol evaporating. If I do I wait a bit more. Also just a bit of an FYI, I’ve done the injecting before dry bit, anyone push the alcohol from the wipe down into your skin before? If you have you’ll know exactly what pain I’m talking about. 😂 thanks for the post tho @NeuroRN. Always a great reminder to stay vigilant on the process.

So… My original coach told me to use some antibiotic ointment, after alcohol to allow needle to glide more easily, then when you’ve removed, massage that oinent all around pushing firmly to move the muscle tissue around

Does that sound kosher? Been doing it for about 6 months now and no issues other than an occasional mountain forming on less fattier areas.

ok, great, I will stop that, one thing I was wondering is do we need to use the alcohol swabs or can we use let’s say cotton ball and alcohol out of bottle?

Cotton ball and alcohol napkin alcohol anything clean and alcohol we are nastier than we think I can get a shower scrub like crazy get out and wipe off with alcohol prep and you should see the dirt still coming off I do work in a dirty environment bit that would go into my body if I didn’t clean it

You can use alcohol out of the bottle. Has to be 91% or higher. Don’t use 70%. I get those round eye make up removers as the pad, put it on and use that. I have used cotton balls and eye pads before when I couldn’t get prep pads, (Covid was a good example of not finding prep pads) but to be honest, those prep pads are cheaper to buy than the alcohol and pads/balls. And easier to take with you or store as well.

Last edited:
Back